Monday, March 1, 2010

Stop the Press:Farm Dog tries to Make Self Useful


Since this is totally inappropriate for our farming blog, I figured I'd put it here. We've been working really hard to get everything ready for growing for the farmer's market this summer. Matt's been working away on the big greenhouse, and prepping an area for the second 2600 gallon rainwater catchment/irrigation tank. I've been preparing beds, and trying to get rid of the gophers before they start breeding in the spring. But finally, Sammy managed to catch... a baby mouse?

I was sitting on a small junk pile next to the greenhouse, taking a break (and some photos) while Matt worked. Sammy was staring into the vegetation, and there was a persistent alarmed squeaking. When I got up to locate it, Sammy stuck his nose into the scrap lumber and came up with a baby mouse, which he just held in his mouth without seeming to know what to do. I easily got him to drop it, then we all stood there for awhile, deciding what to do. Matt was the first to suggest clemency; Sammy and I agreed, and Matt scoooped it up and put it back into under the scrap heap next to its sibling. We're sure that frantically squeaking mama mouse was relieved!

Below: Sammy after a really hard day helping Dad. Yes, we notice the similarity between the infant mouse and our lazy dog. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment