Monday, April 20, 2009

Make work



Since we live each day in mortal fear of running out of things to do (har har), Matt and I keep creating more projects to take on. Recently, Matt's friend Gary offered us 6 Douglas Fir saplings that he had left over from a project. Of course we wouldn't consider passing up free trees. Since it is late to be planting trees, and it's been dry this spring, we know we'll have to haul water to them. So we're trying to plan spots that aren't too far afield. They're still in their pots, but we hope to get them planted and growing soon!

And in thwacking (and pulling) some of the massive "wild" mustard plants that make the yard look unkempt, I stumbled upon a surprisingly large number of (some species of) native blackberry plants. Since we'd wanted to plant berries but decided not to take it on this year, it seems perfect to cultivate these. They are completely choked with weeds. I started pulling, naively thinking it was a half-day project. I'm realizing now only heaven knows how long it will take, but considering how much more extensive the population is than I'd originally thought, I'm hopeful that the blackberry harvest will be substantial, especially after a couple of years. Hopefully soon I'll be able to tell you exactly what species of berry it is.

Here's what the area looks like now:

No comments:

Post a Comment