Thursday, October 22, 2009

Every last bit



I love being able to use up the entirety of something - from "disposable" products, to electronics (my ancient cell phone just will not die!) to things we've grown. Since I'm down to working part-time for the fall and winter, I've been making myself useful around home when I'm here.

Yesterday I chose two 5.5 lb pumpkins as my trial run. I cleaned and baked them, mashing and freezing most of the pulp for later use (without having to start from scratch). We ate a couple of chunks with dinner, and the rest was incorporated into a loaf of pumpkin-banana bread (hey, that overripe banana came from South America somewhere and I wasn't about to toss it in the compost!) The seeds, of course, I cleaned and roasted with a little olive oil, salt, cayenne, and paprika.

The chickens absolutely LOVED the fibrous stuff from inside the pumpkins, and surprisingly, the skins as well (which had been cooked). Much to my glee, not one scrap of those pumpkins even made it to the compost pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment